This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics

Studying in the Netherlands


Are you a student from a non-EU country and planning to study in the Netherlands? You will need a residence permit.

The university or college applies for your residence permit. You must meet certain conditions and you have certain obligations.

Read more on the page: Residence permit for study.

Work during your studies

As a non-EU student in the Netherlands, you are allowed to work a maximum of 16 hours a week or, alternatively, do seasonal work in June, July and August. In both cases, you need a work permit.

A work permit is not required for an internship, if it is relevant to your studies and if you have a signed internship agreement.

You can find a template of a standard internship agreement here (source: Nuffic)

Students are also allowed to work as an entrepreneur next to their studies. They do not need a seperate permit, as long as studying remains the main activity and their school results are not negatively influenced by their business. 

Working in the Netherlands after graduation

Are you a foreign graduate planning to work in the Netherlands? There are several options. As a recent graduate or PhD student, you can apply for a residence permit for an orientation year. It is valid for 1 year and allows you to take up employment without the need for a work permit. This is an excellent way to explore your job opportunities in the Netherlands.

Read more on the page: Orientation year.

Perhaps you already found a job and want to get started right after graduation. From that moment on, your residence permit for study is not valid anymore. It is important to apply timely for a residence permit for work/employment.

There are several types of permits for work. Read more on the pages:

Other rules apply to you if you fall in any of these categories:

If you are an EU national, you do not need a residence permit to live and work in the Netherlands.

Continued residency in the Netherlands

Are you a student from a non-EU country and do you wish to remain in the Netherlands after graduation? There are possibilities, even if you do not take up employment.

If your partner is Dutch, an EU national, or a non-EU national with a Dutch residence permit, you may qualify for a residence permit as a family member. If that is the case, you do not need to pass the civic integration exam abroad.

Read more on the page: Family reunification.

For more information or advice, please contact Thomas van Houwelingen.