This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics
orientation year

Foreign graduates searching for a job in the Netherlands can apply for a residence permit for an orientation period. This permit is valid for 1 year. During this time, you are free on the Dutch labor market. You do not need a separate work permit.

You may apply for this permit up until 3 years after your graduation date. This means you could return to your home country upon graduation and return to the Netherlands a while later.

You may also want to read our news article here.

You found a job

If you find work during your orientation year, you must change your permit to a residence permit for employment. This can be a permit as a highly skilled migrant, or if you start your own business, a residence permit for entrepreneurs.

If you are hired under the highly skilled migrant (HSM) program (your employer must be an HSM sponsor), a reduced minimum wage applies. This lower minimum wage requirement remains applicable when you change HSM-employer or when you turn 30 years of age.

The reduced minimum wage amount for recent graduates is reviewed twice a year. You can find it on our page with salary criteria.

An overview of residence permits for employment or entrepreneurship is presented on these pages:

For more information, please contact Thomas van Houwelingen.

*Top 200 educational institutions: