This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics

To scientific researchers who want to conduct research at a research institute in the Netherlands, other conditions apply than to regular highly skilled migrants. Scientific researchers can get a permit based on Directive (EU) 2016/801.

For whom?

The Directive applies to scientific researchers from outside the EU (third country nationals) in the following categories:

  • scientific researchers in paid employment
  • PhD candidates
  • scientific researches in unpaid employment, but supported with a grant

Becoming a recognized sponsor

In order to employ a scientific researcher from outside the EU, a research institute must be listed as a recognized sponsor with the IND and fall under one of the following categories:

The permit

The research institute applies for the permit, which is valid for the duration of the research with a maximum of 5 years.

The researcher is free on the labor market: (s)he does not need a seperate work permit to work in the Netherlands.

If the researcher has sufficient income, family members can apply for a residence permit as well. The family members are free on the labor market: they do not need a separate work permit to work in the Netherlands.

For more information, please contact Vera Kidjan.