This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics

EU and Swiss citizens

If you have EU or Swiss nationality, you do not need a residence permit or work permit to stay and work in the Netherlands. You are, however, excluded from receiving public funds like a social welfare benefit (unless you have EU long-term residency).

EU and Swiss nationals do not need to report with IND (Immigration and Naturalization Service). If you plan to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you are required by law to register in the civil registry (municipal database) of your Dutch home town.


Do you have Croatian nationality? You do not need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands. As of 1 July 2018 Croats are free on the Dutch labour market. A work permit is no longer required.

If you stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months you must be able to prove that you have health insurance and sufficient financial means. It is optional to apply for verification against EU Community Law. Your employer may request you to do this.

Family members of EU citizens and Swiss nationals 

Your family members with a non-EU nationality must apply for a residence permit if they want to join you in the Netherlands. In this case, verification against EU Community Law.

The following conditions apply:

  • you have legal residence in the Netherlands
  • you have sufficient financial means to support yourself and your family
  • they have valid passports
  • they do not represent a threat to public order

The same conditions apply to unmarried partners of EU citizens/Swiss, but there are a few additional requirements, for instance, you need to live together for at least 6 months or have a child together.

Permanent residence (unlimited stay)

If you wish to settle in the Netherlands on a permanent basis and you have the nationality of an EU Member State or Switzerland, you can apply for a permanent residence permit for EU citizens. Non-EU family members of EU citizens can apply as well.

You must meet the following conditions:

  • you have had 5 years of uninterrupted legal stay the Netherlands
  • you have a valid passport
  • you are registered in the civil registry of your Dutch home town

Exceptions apply to retired persons, persons permanently unfit for work and cross-border employees.


Read more about the residence rights in the EU of parents who are primary caregivers of Dutch children in our article here.

If you have any questions about the categories and specific requirements mentioned above, please contact Vera Kidjan, Elles Besselsen or Lotte van Diepen