This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics
areas of expertise

Do you live in the Netherlands with family members abroad? May be you can apply for their residence permit(s) in the framework of family reunification.

Whom for?
Often, if you live in the Netherlands it is possible to let your family members join you. This goes for Dutch citizens, but also for holders of a Dutch residence permit, as long as you have lived in the Netherlands for at least a year at the time of the application.

However, if you stay in the Netherlands with a temporary purpose, like study, outplacement or seasonal work, your family members often cannot join you.

To Turkish nationals and their family members different rules apply. Read more about these rules here.

Which family members?
The following persons qualify as family members:

  • married or registered partners, regardless of gender
  • unmarried partners, regardless of gender, conditional to evidence of a long-term and exclusive relationship
  • children younger than 18 years and young adults who still live as household members

To have adopted children from abroad join you in the Netherlands, you must meet specific conditions. Read more about this on our page International Adoption.

Read more ...

On 10 May 2017 the EU Court of Justice delivered an important ruling on the residence rights of parents without a residence permit who take care of Dutch children. The verdict is named after one of the parents who brought the case to the Court of Justice: Chavez Vilchez.

Read more ...

Until 2012 it was possible to let your (grand-) parent come to the Netherlands from outside the EU under the so called “elderly policy”. In order to be accepted the following conditions had to be met: it had to concern the single parent of a Dutch child/children (or holders of a permanent residence permit in the Netherlands), who is more than 65 years old. All children should reside in the Netherlands and (jointly) they should meet the income requirement

Read more ...

Annual free lecture for foreign art students

WHEN Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - starts at 17:00h
WHERE Comedy Café, IJdok 89, 1013MM Amsterdam

Our annual free lecture for foreign art students who want to stay in the Netherlands after graduation, will take place on Wednesday 27 March.

Read more ...

Standard means amounts for family reunification as of 1 January 2019

The income amounts, considered by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) as adequate financial resources for applications for family reunification, are revised every 6 months. You will find the new standard means requirements as of 1 January 2019 below.

Read more ...

All Nt2 exams cancelled until 2019

State Exams Dutch as a Second Language (Nt2) have been cancelled. 

Read more ...

Bolivian entrepreneurs to apply for permit under DAFT

Bolivian nationals should be treated just as favorable as American nationals, when it comes to applying for a residence permit for self-employment.

Read more ...

Barbara Wegelin in children's news broadcast

Barbara Wegelin was invited to explain in the children’s television news of Wednesday 12 September 2018, why it took so long for Lili and Howick to be granted residency in the Netherlands and what the consequences are for the group of other children in a similiar situation.

Read more ...