This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics

New regulations (Directive (EU) 2016/801) which will take effect on the 23rd of May 2018 will provide improved mobility within the EU for students and researchers and make it easier to do an internship in the Netherlands.

The most important change is that foreign students and those who graduated less than 2 years ago will be able to do an internship in the Netherlands without the internship being necessary or specifically relevant to the student’s education. If the internship agreement shows that the goal is educational, that is sufficient for a residence or work permit.

Another important change is that it will be easier for researchers and students at universities in other EU countries to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days. If they have a valid permit for research or study in another Member State, they no longer have to apply for a Dutch residence permit to carry out research or study at a Dutch university.

As of the 23rd of May 2018, researchers are allowed to stay twice as long in the Netherlands: 180 days in each period of 360 days, instead of 90 days per 180 days. Their family members may also come to the Netherlands during that period. Students may stay even longer: 360 days without a Dutch residence permit.

Therefore, it will become easier for researchers to conduct research at a Dutch university for a longer period of time. Students will be able to study for a semester or even an entire academic year in the Netherlands without having to apply for a separate residence permit.

A condition of this change is that the researchers and students report to the IND office as soon as possible after their arrival in the Netherlands.
Further, the new regulations allow for foreign students to work 16 hours per week in addition to their studies. Their employer must apply for a work permit for that work.

How to apply? Other questions? Contact Thomas van Houwelingen.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

sign up to our monthly newsletter (in English)

I am aware of and agree with the privacy policy