This website uses Cookies

We use cookies for necessary website functionalities, for social media functionalities and for webiste statistics and analysis. More information can be found in our privacy policy.

I agree with the use of cookies for:

Necessary functionalities and anonymous statistics

self employed

  • Chiropractors in the Netherlands

    In the Netherlands, Chiropractic is not a common profession: no schools or Universities offer programs to acquire a degree in the field. In countries such as Canada, USA, South Africa, and Australia it is possible to study chiropractic. 

    Chiropractic clinics often work with personnel from outside of the European Union, who require a residence and work permit to do their work as a chiropractor in the Netherlands. I will discuss the pros and cons of each option below.

  • Creative industries

    Do you intend to work in the creative industries in the Netherlands and do you have a non-EU nationality? For work in paid employment, a combined permit for work and stay (GVVA) is required. Creative freelancers can apply for a residence permit as entrepreneur. 

    To American, Japanese, and Turkish citizens and their family members other conditions may apply. Read more on our page Treaties.

  • Entrepreneurs

    If you want to set up a business in the Netherlands, you can apply for a residence permit as an entrepreneur.

    RVO (Netherlands Enterprise Agency)assesses whether your business has a good chance of success and serves the Dutch economy’s vital interests. RVO evaluates your application with a point-based system. 

  • Family members of entrepreneurs exempted from work permit requirement

    From 1 January 2020, family members of foreign entrepreneurs can take up paid employment without having to apply for a work permit.

  • Family members of self-employed foreign nationals can now work in employment

    As already announced in our article of November 20th, as of 1 January 2020 family members of self-employed persons will have free access to the Dutch labour market and can therefore work in employment. Family members of self-employed persons that do not have free access to the Dutch labour market yet, can apply to change their residence permit according to the new rules mentioned above.

  • Family members of self-employed have the right to work as self-employed, themselves

    Family members of self-employed have the right to work as self-employed, themselves. The State Secretary of Justice and Security has amended the Aliens Regulations and the Aliens Circular accordingly.

  • Happy World Music Day! ♪♫♬

    Did you know that, besides marking the beginning of summer ánd world yoga day, the 21st of June is also the day on which music is celebrated in 120 countries worldwide? Amateur and professional musicians are invited to play music outside and there are many free music festivals to enjoy.

  • Integration Exam: exemption ONA for entrepreneurs

    Since 20 April 2019, integration exam candidates who work in paid employment can apply for an exemption from the ‘Orientation on the Dutch labor market’ (ONA) component of the civic integration exam. As of 1 October 2020, self-employed persons who are ‘active on the labor market’ will also be eligible for an exemption from the ONA examination component. An application for the exemption can be filed on the DUO website.